Saturday, February 6, 2010

Wireless Connection to the Heart


In this day and age of the so-called high-tech society, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth is the way to get connected. Cables and wires are slowly getting discarded to their demise by more advanced and newer gadgets. But is wireless technology really a new thing that man invented out of the desire to improve life? Hmmnn…. That is a good question.

Since the creation of man, God has communicated to us without wires. Through our hearts, He speaks and calls us; sometimes we hear, sometimes we don’t. To those who stay connected, the spiritual message is upon them; others who are preoccupied listening to the digital sound of
 iPods and cell phones are naturally tuned out of Heaven’s radio frequency. Silly as it may sound, it is the high-tech illustration of how we can easily isolate our hearts from God.

On the 14th day of February, hearts of many sizes will cover our city. For the sake of celebrating Valentine’s Day, sweethearts will exchange special love notes and specially sweetened words. Special calls from near and far will connect people _ with love, but only for one day. . . . Yes, just on one special day.

Every day on ordinary days, God calls us. Either we tune in or we tune out, the choice is ours. Those who tuned in have inspired me. I have so much admiration for people who have chosen to listen and pursue their callings. Some, with their unselfish work, like Mother Teresa, have achieved world recognition for their dedication serving the sick and the poor. Others, in their own small and seemingly insignificant way, have touched and inspired people from all walks of life.

Last summer, I also heard God’s calling. It was different. It was more of a knock on my heart, or should I say a wake-up call? During a routine physical check-up, my stress test led me to a further cardiac examination and a meeting with a cardiologist. Although it was not as bad as earlier suspected, he expressed some concern for my well being. He pointed out that there was a 40 percent blockage in one of the major arteries connected to the heart. It was a minor concern that did not require any form of surgery, only preventative measures that had to be taken seriously to eliminate the risks of a heart attack. Medications, proper diet and regular exercise were prescribed.

Now, five months later, I feel so much healthier. I have been following the advice of my doctor, and in the process, I lost 20 pounds of excess weight, enabling me to run after my playful granddaughter. In retrospect, I am glad I was paying attention when God knocked. What happened to me was God’s way of saying, “Look after yourself and stay alive. I am not done with you yet.” On that note, I must have a mission that is yet to be completed.

Big or small, we all have our individual gifts to discover and share. Out of passion we discover our talents, and out of love for others, we hear our Christian callings.

In Scarborough’s Rouge Valley Health Center, a group of gifted people at the Cardiac Rehab Program are doing a wonderful job in fulfilling their callings. They make each day like Valentine’s Day. They are the experts in ramping up healthy heart awareness, talking about hearts and helping others to achieve healthier and longer lives.

On Valentine’s Day, when we see those heart-shaped chocolates, let us remind ourselves that the Day of the Hearts is not exclusive to February 14th. Keep the flames of passion and love burning every day; it is the best way to get our hearts connected to God’s calling.

No comments: