Saturday, August 8, 2009

Borrowed Time



In the world of the living, the topic about dying is the most eluded subject of conversation. The word death could easily spoil a rather fun-filled evening of socializing. We are so huddled up in our own comfort zones that we decline to talk about it. Is it because of its morbid connotation? Or are we simply in denial?

Life is sweet. We love it too much, we forget that we are just living in borrowed time. We can control how we live and choose a lifestyle that suits us, but we cannot deny the fact that we are all just passing through. Sooner or later, the clock of life will stop ticking and death will come knocking at the door.


What if you found out today that you only have three days to live? Would you panic or calmly look back at how you lived? Would you have some regrets that you were so caught up in having fun and you missed out on important issues in your life? Would you cram everything you have taken for granted in the final three days of your life? Or would you celebrate and give thanks to God for a very meaningful life? In other words, are you ready?

Yesterday, a very interesting coincidence happened to me. I was sitting on one of the benches inside Scarborough Town Centre near H&M Store. While waiting for my wife, I decided to play with my thoughts about my next article on my column: The Third Eye. Words about life and death were flowing in my head like water when I heard a woman’s voice repeatedly yelling, “Old man! Old man!” It was very persistent. My curiosity got the best of me and I turned my head to her direction to check. Well, surprise, surprise. I was the old man she was referring to. She was very upset. There was anger in her eyes. She pointed her forefinger at me to single me out and forcefully said, “Old man, you will get a casket! You will die! Your family will bury you in the ground! You will die!” I was taken aback but managed to say “Thank you.” before she went on her way. Was the woman crazy? Or was she a psychic and able to read what I had in mind?

Her words were frightening but aside from the word “old man,” she was not lying. I will eventually die and my family will provide a casket to bury me in the ground. That is a fact. It is meant to happen. How soon? I did not ask. But I am sure she would have mentioned it if she knew.

I have always been open-minded about my own death. Don’t get me wrong. I am not suicidal. I love life. I treat each day as if it is my last. With that approach, I get the most of the day and I give my most to the day. I believe that when you are living a simple life and fulfilling your unselfish priorities, you are also capable of having a meaningful life here on earth.

On that note, I would like to add a well known and inspirational verse: “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.”

No comments: