Friday, April 6, 2012

The Race


   In the second letter of Paul to Timothy, Paul wrote a concise yet powerful description of his faith in Christ. He compared it to a grueling race. “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7 


Our Lord, Jesus also had an earthly race. It started from a manger in Bethlehem to a cross on the hill of Golgotha. With His resurrection, He completed the race.
    
   When we accept Jesus, we too, enter a race. It is a race where endurance matters more than speed. Through a gauntlet of temptations, the weak will fall and quit. Others will rest, but the faithful will remain undeterred by the devil’s deception.

    Fuelled by our faith, we push the limits to reach the finish line where God does not rate the fastest and the slowest. In God’s eyes, it is irrelevant who comes first and who comes last. In heaven, we are all victorious when we complete the race.

    Race Tracks come in many forms and lengths. When we find God’s purpose for us, we should commit ourselves to stay on track and go the distance. Mine started seven years ago during a pilgrimage to The Holy Land. I call it “Photography for Christ.”

   In Jerusalem, at the courtyard of the Church of The Holy Sepulchre, I captured the defining moment of my calling. There, before me was the collective silhouette of my fellow pilgrims highlighted by a bright wall lamp shining on them. Their radiating shadows seemed like a hand reaching out to me. The image was heartily engaging; it penetrated my soul. It made me stay still, listening in silence. It was speaking the words of Jesus, “Let your light shine before others so they can see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16

   That evening, my race began. I would follow Jesus through the lens of my camera. In the Word, I would see the picture and in the picture, I would hear the Word. Through the art of photography I would spread the message of Christ.

   Proclaiming God’s Word is like running an uphill road. Along the way, the winds of rejection, dissuasion and other negative energies have pushed me back. They may have slowed me down, but I held my torch up and pressed to move on. Guided by the Holy Spirit, I produced compelling photo-illustrations of the Word that inspired many, brought hope to the discouraged and caused awareness of God’s love to those who are distant and lost.

   Today, the race is far from over. Each day is a continuation of the race. In every morning sun, I hear God’s Word, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”Jeremiah 29:11. With God’s reassuring words, how can anyone not stay on track and not complete the race?




1 comment:

Lani said...

Mario~This was pretty cool. Keep doing what you are doing. You have a real purpose in your photography!